Saturday, July 30, 2011

Who eats dry mix???

As a diabetic celiac or celiac diabetic (poTAYto/poTAHto), eating gluten-free while couting carbs is just a part of my life. My diabetic side of life is used to reading serving sizes and carb counts. My celiac side of life is used to scanning labels for gluten and cross contamination risks.

I made these gluten-free brownies the other day. You can imagine my surprise to see the "serving size" on this packaging. 3 tablespoons of DRY MIX????? HUH? Who eats dry mix? How much brownie is that? Now, I know you may say "But Nikki, just read right below it. It says there are 12 servings per container, so just do the math." Okayyy, except that on the box, (not pictured) it says "Makes 16 brownies." ???????? I do have a food scale, but I don't know if when they say "37g" for serving size if that, again, is measuring something else, like dry mix. I have no idea. I ended up guess-bolusing for around 31 carbs, based on the carbs listed on the box.

Has that ever happened to you? I think there should be a mandatory protocol for determining serving sizes on food. It should always be in weight (oz, grams, lbs) of the FINISHED product. None of this dry mix BS. Stoooooopid.

2 comments:

  1. Yes...and I hate trying to figure it out! I'm sure there is some easy way to do it...maybe? I would maybe just cut the batch into 12 pieces instead of 16? I usually end up guessing for stuff like this though---I figure around 30 carbs for a brownie is safe. How did your guessing go, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guessing went okay! BG was a little high... worth it, tho (yum)!

    ReplyDelete