Monday, March 18, 2013

Every little ailment MUST be related to your disease, right?

Shit my head hurts. I've had this persistent migraine since saturday night/sunday morning-ish, it woke me up around 3:30am. I woke up right after a nightmare, in which a person (I don't remember if it was male or female) was about to pass me walking on the side walk, and in an instant I knew that s/he was going to pull out a long knife out from under his/her open beige trench coat and stab me as s/he walked by. I woke myself up screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!!" Then I checked my blood sugar, and it was 211. Awesome. I needed to pee, but my head hurt so bad that I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom. So I laid there for at least an hour awake, trying not to move my head, with a full bladder. I couldn't hold it anymore and got out of bed, headed toward the bathroom. But my migraine was so powerful that I actually swayed and ran into my dresser (F#@#@&^#(@&#*@^#^!!!!).

For the rest of the day, I laid on the couch, until 4:30pm Sunday night. Too nauseas from the migraine to eat; too painful to get up and do anything. I closed all the blinds in my house and wore my eye covers (see below), listening to the tv on volume level 2. And it seemed LOUD.



Then it went away. Whew!

So this morning I got up and got ready for work. I had an appt with the dermatologist first, to get my skin patch (allergy) test, since my skin has taken turns between hives and eczema spots every where. Despite the BLIZZARD (yes, blizzard) weather we had on my drive to the clinic, I made it there in one piece. Forty-five minutes into the appointment, I looked like this:




I can't shower until Thursday (sorry, co-workers), cause those little patches can't get wet. So afterwards I drove to work. And then my migraine came back. It progressively got worse throughout the afternoon, so I skipped lunch and contemplated whether I'd look weird wearing my sunglasses at my desk. The light above my head suddenly seemed really BRIGHT.

I called my endo and asked him to call in a migraine Rx for me, which he graciously did. So I took it and now I'm just waiting for it to kick in. I hope it will soon, cuz even looking at this computer screen right now is killing me, and I have it muted to the darkest setting.

The awesome thing about having chronic diseases is that you think it causes everything that's wrong with you. I can't help but think that the cause of my migraine is from being glutened, even though I ate at home yesterday and made all my food from scratch. But I start wondering "was the seasoning I bought truly gluten free?" "Maybe it was the sour cream? The new salsa I bought?" Or maybe I got a migraine for an un-related reason. All I know is I mentally equate migraines with ingesting gluten because I get migraines whenever I get glutened. And that's the suckiest part, I'll never truly know what caused this migraine.

Chronic disease makes you a little paranoid. When I don't feel right, I immediately equate it to type 1 diabetes, grave's disease or celiac disease. Even though before I was diagnosed I got colds and stomach bugs like every one else, nowadays I ALWAYS think that it's related to one of my illnesses. If I have a headache, is it from blood sugar? A stomach ache- it MUST be from celiac disease... it certainly couldn't be because I ate too much. Nope. I need to get out of this mode of thinking; it makes me paranoid. Sometimes you can just be sick and it NOT be related to any of your diseases. But I'm not a doctor, so how do I really know?

Do you do this, too? When you get sick, do you automatically assume it's your diabetes or celiac disease (whichever one you have)?

Well, back to the couch, eye covers and the almost-on-mute tv volume. Cheery-O.











6 comments:

  1. Yes, a million times, yes. It's hard not to tie it back to diabetes. Google whatever ailment you currently have and there is a 9 out of 10 chance it will say you're more likely to get it if you're diabetic AND/OR it's harder to treat because of diabetes. It BLOWS. I hope your meds kicked in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Nikki, that sounds miserable. My wife deals with migraines sometimes, and they seem so terrible. I'm sorry that you've been battling them. Hope your meds kick in and get you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes me too!
    and I suffer migraines, long lasting ones. They often go on for days where I am taking pain killers on an hourly basis just to keep it at "bay" yet never relieving me completely.
    I FEEL YOU! I usually think its blood sugar related. I mean so many times I wake up in the morning after a hellish low and I feel sick. I'll never equate it to something other than diabetes or celiac related.
    So yes.. I get it. Celiabetes has turned me into a hypochondriac!
    HOPE you feel better soon!
    cold compress on your forehead or back of your neck. It helps me any way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I automatically think that I'm not getting better right away because of the diabetes... is that the same thing?

    Sorry about the migraines. P.S. I'm writing as quietly as I can right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly I hope that you feel better soon. I have only had a few migraines in my life and they were miserable. I cannot imagine having so many. And hell yes on tracking every symptom I have to either diabetes or celiac. Anytime I get a headache, feel nauseous etc I automatically assume it is disease related. I have even checked my BS with a headache, seen a normal number and then tested again because I am convinced it must be diabetic related. I echo Scully in that I feel like a hypochondriac. Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nikki!
    I just came across your blog & am selfishly so excited! Not that you have to deal with what you do but that you are willing to share your journey. My middle son, Micah, age 9, was diagnosed with Type 1 last December & was also just tested for Celiac...no results yet. This post made me laugh...not at your pain (I hope you are feeling better) but because literally EVERYTHING that happens to Micah, I google & research it's possible link to Type 1. I really drive myself nuts with it & try not to tell him every time I google something. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thanks again for your willingness to be open. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete