Thursday, August 23, 2012

An important PSA about facial tissues. READ ON.

I sit here writing this with kleenex shoved up both nostrils and blurry eyes from tears that continue to make their way down my face. No, I'm not sad. I have #$(*&#$*&#*$!! allergies.


I think I might have found the source of my migraine yesterday (=allergies). My allergies are a mess right now. The weather here in Minnesota is changing. It's 70 degrees and cool for a few days, then 85 and humid for a week. Then repeat. My allergies cannot handle the weather changes.

Here's an allergy tip about facial tissues. Don't buy the tissues with lotion (Puffs, Kleenex, etc.) They irritate your eyes when you rub them. OH, and DON'T, for heaven's sake, buy the tissue with the menthol in them. Not only do they burn your eyes but they also put some sort of funk on your fingertips afterwards and I'm convinced it messed up my blood sugar readings, whatever that chemical is. I prefer Kleenex ultra soft (Ultra Doux or something like that) ones or the plain Puffs with no crap on them. Or the Target brand plain ones are good, too. They are all thicker and you won't blow your nose THROUGH them or sneeze THROUGH them. And forget about using toilet paper to wipe your eyes; you'll just end up with tp lint in your eyelashes.

I have year-round allergies that are completely controlled with a daily Zyrtec pill. But every season change causes me big problems that Zyrtec alone can't fix. I received weekly allergy shots for 5 years, which helped. Nowadays, Benadryl for severe symptoms works if you don't mind being in a mind fog for part of the day.

I'm also allergic to cats (like, really allergic. Instant, uncomfortable symptoms including mild throat swelling), and most animals give me hives, except my precious babygirl Bella


SIDEBAR: I really hate God for making me allergic to animals when I love them so much. Why couldn't he make me allergic to, say, meth? Something that I would never touch anyway? Continuing...

Also mold (indoor and outdoor), grass, carpet, goat hair (not kidding), strawberries, dust, dairy, onions, fabric softener (nope, can't use most dryer sheets or detergents unless they are unscented) and more things, totaling over 30 on my last allergy skin and blood tests. Most were insignificant things that you wouldn't run into in your daily life (like the goat hair). I had no allergies until my early 20's and then all hell broke loose. I literally woke up one day and was so allergic to my cat that I'd had for 7 years that I had an asthma attack that required a call to 911. I tried to keep dear kitty for as long as I could afterwards, until the asthma became so bad that my doctor told me my cat would out live me if I kept her. So my very good friend adopted her and gave her a great home and me visitation rights for the rest of her life (RIP Lily, 2012). (The cat, not my friend, is RIP).

Anyway, enough about my tears and snot problems. Today was a good day. A normal, good day. I got up late, around 9:15ish, lay in bed and watched The Nate Berkus Show. Then I shoved some raw almonds in my mouth, downed some water and hopped on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes. I then made myself my usual breakfast, Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes with Justin's Maple Almond Butter swirled in (you can sub peanut butter), a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk to thin it out a bit (you can sub milk), and a teeny weeny drizzle of organic agave nectar on top (you can sub maple syrup). At times I will swirl in a spoonful of sugar free jelly. Oh heaven. The best thing about this breakfast is that it only takes 90 seconds to make. 90 seconds!! People don't tell me you don't have time for breakfast!!


My back/neck was a little sore from all the activity, so I decided to relax for a bit afterwards. I sat in the recliner and read my book, Gone Girl. Have you heard of this book? Oh it's so crazy good. Very psychological without being scary. I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

It was too hot and humid today to be outside, for me or the dog, so we just hung out the rest of the day in the air conditioning and cooked up the rest of the black bean burgers from the mix I made up yesterday. If you haven't tried these before, you really need to. So yummy. And very economical to make. And easy.

Black Bean Patties

2 cups black beans, rinsed and mashed up with a fork (I used 1 regular sized can of black beans)
1/2 medium sized onion, minced or chopped finely
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. chili powder

Mix everything together in a mixing bowl. I add about a tablespoon of water to thin it out a bit. Not too much; you don't want it runny. Then form into patties. It should make 4 patties. Spray some non-stick cooking spray in a pan and fry 'em up until browned on both sides. You can freeze them, too.

Serve with a side of veggies or a side salad.

In the afternoon, I hopped back on the treadmill for another 30 minute walk, hopped in the shower and relaxed until, well, now. And now it's bedtime. Not a very exciting life I'm living right now, but I certainly do appreciate UN-eventful, calm days. I've had a little too much excitement in my life lately :)

4 comments:

  1. Love, love black beans..I need to try the burgers! Your snot and tears made me laugh! Sorry.
    I actually found this silly little thing on the interwebs about how to make a straw/tissue thing you stick up your nose to catch drips (and can't see) (for those allergy-attack, have-to-go-out and function days). Hilarious? Yes. Works? Yes.
    SO hoping you get them under control!! And..stay away from goat hair. That would be mohair and cashmere, girl! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agave is insanely bad for your liver, FYI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay close attention to the sugar that you eat. Less sugar you eat the less acidic will be your saliva and other fluids. The less acidic they are the less hospitable than they R2 microorganisms. Skip all artificial sugars. You'll know you've achieved a less acidic state when you are allergies are able to clear up some. Sugar causes inflammation allergies are inflammation symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look at all of the sweet food you're talking about preparing all I can think is these sweet foods are causing your health problems. Doctors won't help you because there's big money in diabetes. You have to think for yourself and you have to stop eating sweets. Eat a very healthy diet including lots of vegetables healthy fats like from coconut oil. And a moderate amount of meat. All of the foods that take a sweet natural plant and concentrate it are merely creating drugs that are addictive and destructive. As Americans we are being used like guinea pigs in a large experiment in medication and sugaring. Dr. Almost never says drop the sugar completely. Unexplained how taste is a function of concentration gradients of molecules. The more sugar that's already in your body the less sugar is able to be detected in foods requiring ever sweet Foods. After about two weeks of a completely sugar free diet I find even black tea has enough natural sweetness to be consumed without any sugar or other additives. Avoid sugar also make you more resistant to funguses and infections in wounds. This is why alcoholics often have problems with foot funguses And wound infections

    ReplyDelete