Sunday, March 24, 2013

Diabetic & Celiac Friendly Menu Plan

Well, it's Sunday and I am just about to start my chopping/prepping for my weekly menu plan. The recipes were taken from the cookbook "Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook" by Sarah Fragoso. As you know, I try to eat Paleo about 6 days a week, with one day where I allow myself to eat some less-than-healthy carbs. That day is Saturday. Last night I had a gluten free pizza with pepperoni and pineapple. I paid for it, too: high blood sugars overnight and a high reading when I woke up. Thus why I don’t eat a lot of unhealthy carbs! I’m always sorry later!

I base my weekly menu plan on what I already have on hand. Right now I have a surplus of ground turkey, so a few of the recipes this week are going to use it up.

Monday: Mini Meatloaves (made in a muffin pan) with homemade Sweet Potato Chips

Tuesday: Curry Burgers (ground turkey burgers with a curry sauce drizzled on top) with Carrot French Fries

Wednesday: “Meatless Wednesday” Homemade egg salad served on top of quartered red peppers and served with a side of veggie slices and hummus.

Thursday: Slow cooker day! Slow Chicken Curry (one of my FAVORITES)! served with a side of a frozen veggie (TBD)
Friday: Leftover buffet!

Saturday: Cheat day- TBD

The key is to make the next day’s dish the night before, so for example, I’m making Monday’s meal tonight so it will be ready when I come home from work. I do most of the prep work/chopping for the week today, so I won’t have to do it when I get home after work. Also pick, easy (realistic) recipes that won't take a lot of time OR money to make. The recipes that I like, I keep them in future weekly rotations.

Tonight I have my Financial Peace University class. I’m on week 5 of 9. I’m learning so much about managing my finances and on the right path to be debt-free and learning how to budget for expected and unexpected medical expenses. If you are interested in learning more about these classes and where they are being held in your area, go to www.DaveRamsey.com .

5 comments:

  1. It all sounds like a great menu plan. Got a recipe for homemade sweet potato chips? I would love to see that. Interested in hearing more about your classes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave Ramsey is great. He got his start and is still based in my hometown of Nashville. My wife and I are on baby step 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all sounds really good. How about the slow chicken curry, do you have a recipe for that too? I feel like I underutilize my slow cooker, a new recipe would be fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took FPU several years ago. Great stuff!

    And yes, like others have been saying...we'd love to see recipes :)

    Love your blog! (It's an encouragement to me...type 1, trying to follow Paleo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fantastic. I have this cookbook, but rarely use it. I will give these recipes a try. Ground meat is not easy for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete