Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Random


I hate putting this thing on. I love having the security a CGM provides, but being afraid of needles, it can take me HOURS to get up the nerve to put this thing on. Sometimes, I'll have already removed the adhesive backing and have it stuck on me, but I am too afraid to move forward, and I'll walk around (the house, not in public) with the entire contraption stuck on my belly until I feel I can finish the process. My endo told me I am his only diabetic patient who is a needle-phobe. Can that be true?

Today: wake up weight: 118.0. Didn't eat on a good schedule today and didn't eat all that healthfully. Bkfast: 2 egg whites with Mrs. Dash and pepper, 1 pc. gf toast and 1/2 avocado, decaf coffee with soy creamer (love soy creamer, yum yum)and sugar alternative. Skipped lunch; ate breakfast too late. Dinner: left over gf pasta from previous night's dining out. (A rarity; the last time I ate out was the night before Easter.) Snack: pumpkin seeds and no-sugar-added apple sauce (pre-measured to 15 carbs). Trying to get weight to 115. Guess I'll have to incorporate more exercise, sigh.

I need to call my insurance company tomorrow. I got a call from my pharmacy tonight letting me know my insurance denied my test strips refill. Argghh. They don't think I need to test 6 times a day anymore, or 200 strips per month. Firstly, I actually test 8.3 times per day, on average, according to my dr, so them having to pay for only 6 of those should seem like a bargain. Besides, they've paid for 200 per month for the last 17 months (since when I was diagnosed), so why do they randomly decide to deny me? No idea. The pharmacist, a nice older gentleman, was quite annoyed with them. I told him not to worry about it; this wasn't the first time and I'd deal with the insurance company tomorrow.

On a happy note, I got my August 2011 Diabetes Forecast magazine in the mail today. I pretty much will sit down and read it cover to cover. I'm sort of a magazine junkie; I have subscriptions to Whole Living, Glamour, Self, Diabetes Forecast, Delight Gluten Free, Living Without, Diabetes Self-Management, Everyday Food (came free with the Whole Living subscription), All You, US Weekly and Gluten-Free Living. I think that's all of them. US Weekly is great for my celebrity smut fix; that's my reading material for the morning coffee. And Diabetes Forecast and Gluten-Free Living beat out the rest of them for which ones get read first. I rarely skip any articles in these. Many magazines have good recipes for food I can't eat- either too carby or has gluten in it. So I usually skip over the recipe sections of the non-medical magazines. Anyways I was reading Diabetes Forecast today and read through the section where readers submit feedback about the previous issue. I wanted to tell a few of those readers to go have someone pin their tails back on (channeling Eyore), because their comments seemed unnecessarily negative, kind of over the top. Personally, I think it's great to have a magazine that is focused on this disease. That every article and advertisement from cover to cover is specific to me. That's how I feel with my gluten free magazines, too. I'm so happy to have magazines entirely dedicated to diseases that affect my life 24/7. That provide updates, recipes, ways for coping and most importantly, a sense of community. I enjoy these mags much more than my girlie magazines because the girlie ones usually have many sections that have nothing to do with my life (hello, have you seen the price of the clothing in the fashion sections? Sweater, Marc Jacobs- $1,250. REALLY???? Who is their target audience, anyway???) Sections about parenting (cuz I have no kiddos), marriage advice(nope, not married), fashion (can't afford what they are advertising and it's ugly, anyway), 20-somethings who sleep with their bosses/guys they just met at the bar/ their best friend's boyfriend and then write in to the advice columns wondering why their relationship didn't work out, etc. etc. I get that their relevance has to cover a wide base of readers and that these articles are helpful to different populations. I'd rather spend my time reading info that's relevant to me.

Anyway, enough randomness for one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment