Sunday, July 31, 2011

Damn Good Chili for diabetics and/or celiacs


Need a yum recipe for dinner for yourself and/or family? Or how about need a recipe that is SAFE for anyone in your life who has a food allergy to one of the top 8 allergens? This recipe is SOGOOD. It's also lower carb. This recipe is always a hit, regardless of my audience. It's easy, it's tasty and (drum roll) it's HEALTHY!!! I got this recipe from my non-insurance covered dietician at Nutritional Weight & Wellness here in Minneapolis. She created a meal plan for me that is healthy for both my diabetes and my celiac disease. I love all of her recipes, but this one, it's amazeballs. I'm sharing it with you, even though I had to pay a $200 office visit charge to get it (aren't I nice?). It makes a big batch and for you single peeps you can freeze it if you can't eat it all.

Top a bowl of this with sliced black olives or sliced avocado for a healthy fat. My hero dietician doesn't want me eating dairy, so no cheese or sour cream on top. I do top it with an extra splash of Red Hot, tho (salivating). Hurry up, crock pot!!!!!!!

Here's the recipe:

2 lbs ground beef or turkey (I used turkey this round). Brown in pan, drain & set side.

1 T. olive oil
1 C. onion- chopped
1 C. green pepper(I forgot to buy one, so it's not in my current batch)
2 cloves garlic- chopped
Heat olive oil in pan and cook the vegetables until tender.

Mix the following ingredients in a big bowl:
2 T. chili powder (I use all McCormick's seasonings b/c they are gluten free)
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano leaves- dried
1/4 t. Tabasco sauce (I use Red Hot cuz that's what's in the fridge)
6 medium fresh tomatoes- diced
1 (15-16 oz.) can organic tomato sauce (I use Glen Muir or whatever it's called)

Throw everything together in either a big pan (heat to boiling, cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally) or in a crockpot (throw on for a few hours on high or low, until all ingredients are broken down).

16 oz. can kidney beans-drained and rinsed
10 large black olives- sliced (optional)
avocado- diced or sliced (optional)
Add kidney beans after chili has cooked for 1 hour. Serve topped with olives or avocado.

My dietician recommended eating this on top of a serving of green beans instead of rice in order to keep carb count low.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: