Wednesday, June 20, 2012

You take the good, You take the bad, You take them both and there you have...

"You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life...the facts of life..." Yep, it's an earworm. I like to replace "the facts of life" and replace it with "diabetes" or "disease." One thing about having a chronic disease is that it has ebbs and flows. You have your good days, and if your lucky, good weeks/months. And sometimes out of nowhere you will have a span of crap times. And during a span of crap times it is tempting for me to head in a downward spiral, emotionally. I go through periods of negativity just like anyone else. Life, in general, will do that to anyone, and if you are lucky enough to have diabetes on top of it, you may experience additional bouts of negativity or even depression.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, grave's disease and celiac disease, I was never so afraid. These chronic monsters turned my life and everything I knew upside down. I struggled, I suffered. There wasn't one part of my life that didn't pay a consequence as a result of them. Now I see myself differently, and I live differently. I went to hell and back and I discovered myself in the process.

In November 2010, 9 months after my first diagnosis, I decided to take my life back from disease. Feeling that disease had added enough fear and negativity to my life, I decided to purge all extra negativity out of my life (those things that I had control over). It was around that time that I stopped watching the news on tv and reading the headlines online. I phased out toxic people (which was a difficult move for me). I bought and read many positive thinking books from authors like Louise Hay, Kris Carr, Rhonda Byrne and Thich Nhat Hanh. I began to love -everything- more. The smell of flowers. The sights, sounds and wonders of nature. The stillness of a quiet house. I even began to embrace my physical flaws, things I had always disliked about myself. I made the conscious decision to be a positive force.

Disease slowed me down- in a good way, a much needed change. Life has many simple beauties that I missed because I was perpetually busy. I discovered so many things I had never noticed before. Why, I wondered, did it take me getting sick to really start loving life? I'm a different person post-diagnosis. I read a lot. I drink a lot of herbal tea. I deep breathe more. I move a little more conscientiously and I act with intention. I have trained myself to not hurry. I'm more sensitive. I'm a better listener. I don't stay in bad relationships anymore.

I allow very few things to stress me out. One of the few things that does still affect me is when I am in the presence of a negative person. Someone who focuses on their misery (real or perceived); who can't find a good thing in their lives to be appreciative for. Beware of these people (I'm sure someone is coming to your mind as you read this); they will suck the energy right out of you. They will absorb all the positive, good energy you radiate and leave you feeling exhausted. Don't be tempted to join them in their "misery talk" out of camaraderie or pressure. Protect yourself in the situation and, if possible, begin to put distance between you.

If you are feeling stressed about something right now, just take a moment to breathe. Take my advice on this, it really does work. Tomorrow is a new day. You can't always change the situation you're in, but you can change how you respond to it and how you let it affect you.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice post Nikki. I can definitely relate and it's unfortunate that it takes getting a diagnosis to force us to stop and smell the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you are feeling stressed about something right now, just take a moment to breathe. Tomorrow is a new day. You can't always change the situation you're in, but you can change how you respond to it and how you let it affect you."

    This is something i have trouble doing. I think this will be my new mantra! i have to learn to respond differently and how to let it affect me less.

    thanks nikki for this great post and piece of advice!

    ReplyDelete