Friday, June 22, 2012

Thank God June is almost over.

I've been stressed lately. You might have guessed that from the absence of posts over the last several weeks. June usually is one of my favorite months of the year, namely because it is my birth month and it is a sunny-but-not-too-scorching-hot month here in Minnesota. I love getting outside and enjoying the sun (with my SPF 2000+). But instead of fun in the sun, June 2012 has been a month of fires to put out. To name a few (none of the issues are related to each other), a troubled relationship with a close relative that has come to a head, challenges with my medical care and insurance, challenges with a particular friend who I love but think I may need to say goodbye to for my own sanity, a sick pet with more vet bills to boot, and the worst birthday that I've had...ever (on 6/11).




These are probably considered 'normal people' problems. Of course we PWDs get to add on to that list diabetes issues and for me, celiac issues as well. Nothing like a little stress to make your blood sugar spike straight up.

How do you react when your meter shows your blood sugar is whack? Here are a few of my favorite options:

1. Sh*t. (under my breathe, monotone and without emotion).
2. WHAT
3. No. No. No. (like you are scolding a toddler).
4. (monotone and no emotion) NoWay....
5. You gotta be kidding me.
6. (nothing). (shake head).
7. (blink) (blink)
6. (nothing). (deeeeeep breattttttthhhh).


When I'm feeling stressed I run to bad food like some women run to bad men. A little stress will have me buying out the bakery aisle of the grocery store...



...only after I've hit up the freezer section



This is about as self-destructive as I get (yeah, lame) but to me it's a big deal because I have T1 and celiac and often times food seems like the enemy. I fight my desire to eat crap everyday, willpower sometimes wears thin. And sometimes you just feel like hitting the gas pedal instead of the brake and say ** it.

1 comment:

  1. Hope July is better for you Nikki! Hang in there; this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete