Friday, June 29, 2012

What does a celiac diabetic eat? Grocery Haul-Food Edition.

I get a lot of questions about my diet. "What can you eat?" is a common question. I also get questions from many newbie celiacs who need help figuring out what to eat. I was recently contacted by someone who's young daughter (she's only 2) was just diagnosed with allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs. (I'm not a dietitian or health care provider in any sense). That might not seem like a huge deal until you realize how many foods contain one or more of these ingredients. When you have multiple food allergies, you will find yourself making a lot of food from scratch. I have to follow two medical diets, a diabetes-friendly-celiac-diet. I was also diagnosed with allergies to both dairy and onions, but the allergy tests both came back a weak positive, so while I tend to avoid these ingredients for the most part, I don't have to eliminate them to the extent that I have to with gluten.

Today was grocery shopping day. While I love cooking, I don't love grocery shopping, usually because of the sticker shock that comes along with it. So I give myself little incentives to go do these tedious yet oh-so-necessary tasks. One purple pedicure and a soy latte later, I went grocery shopping.

Here are the pics and listings of what I got. (Click on them to make them bigger).

Everything I purchased today was gluten free and dairy free. Namaste pizza crust, tea, Udi's whole grain bread, tiger balm for my neck muscle (slept wrong on it last night), sliced olives, turkey pepperoni, italian sausage, MyChelle creamy pumpkin facial cleanser, organic basil, organic dill, Daiya dairy free shredded cheese (that actually melts!) and Rudi's new flavored flour tortillas (can't wait to try them). Obviously, I'm making gluten free pizza this weekend. One to bake and the other one I'll get it ready and freeze it to cook at a later time.



Unsweetened almond milk- one is vanilla (for my coffee and for anything that needs a "sweeter" taste), and one is original (because you don't want your scrambled eggs or soups to taste like vanilla. Because I've made that mistake before.) Sundried tomato basil polenta. I really like polenta... YUM.


A hot air popcorn popper! And some kernels. I would have preferred organic corn kernels because I don't want GMO corn but I was at Target and they didn't have any. I was inspired to get this after a friend posted of Facebook that she made a fresh hot batch of popcorn, drizzled olive oil on it, and shook a little Lawry's seasoning salt and garlic powder on it. Totally doing that on movie night this weekend.

There's something else about myself that I may have mentioned before. I have a small tea obsession.

The Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Orange Zinger Ice (to the far left) is my current obsession. It is already sweetened with Stevia and it is so good and refreshing. I drink so much of it! I just ordered a case, yes, A CASE of it off Amazon this week. It's a limited edition summer flavor and most stores have already clearanced it out (I swiped all that I could find). Next to it is the Acai Mango Zinger Ice flavor that I haven't tried yet. If it's half as good as the other one, I'll be on Amazon ordering a case of that one, too. I have a lot of teas from Celestial Seasonings because they are gluten free. Also pictured is Two Leaves and a Bud, a great, organic tea line and Good Earth. The red box is the one I usually keep at work in a drawer. I refill it regularly and keep a variety of teas in it. I also have tea from Teavana, who has GREAT tea (you may have one of these stores at your local mall. If so, I encourage you to go in and try one of their many samples of teas.) It is pricier tea, so I usually don't buy a lot of it... unless it's on sale (see below).


THIS beauty was clearanced out at Teavana a while back. It has delicious tea flavors like Strawberry Lemonade (all natural and no sugar added). SO yum!!

The last thing I wanted to show you was the surprise I got in the mail today. It wasn't something I signed up to receive.


Schar, maker of my favorite gluten free baguettes and rolls, sent me a FREE 4 pack of their Ciabatta rolls and a book of really good coupons!!! If you eat gluten free, you know there are almost never coupons or sales for gluten free items. I think it's probably a loyal customer gift or something. These are about a $6 value! I was so happy that I didn't know what end of the pig to feed!

Anyway, I hope this gives you a little window into the world of what a celiac diabetic- who is also avoiding dairy and raw onions- may eat. There are a lot of grocery options out there for us peeps with special dietary needs, whether it's the 'betes, celiac, or food allergies. Life is good!


2 comments:

  1. I can't get GF tortilla wraps in the UK! I would love to be able to, i've never even had a wheat one before being diagnosed!

    I recently signed up with Juvela and they sent me a free from box of goodies, I got pasta, spagetti, flour and crackers. May be worth having a look round to see if any of your usual brands have a similar offer for 'newbies'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you do posts like this! Love being able to take a peak and see what other people are buying or making! Tried the popcorn with olive oil, seasoning and garlice powder tonight....so good!!

    ReplyDelete