Friday, January 27, 2012

Vision board

I've been working on a vision board over the last two weeks. It's not done yet, but I've cut out a lot of pictures and sayings from magazines, from Whole Living to Diabetes Forecast, to Oprah's O Magazine, to Gluten Free Living, and all my girlie fashion mags. You name it. At last count, I had in the double-digit numbers of subscriptions to magazines (I blame it on always wanting the free-with-purchase purse/bag/fitness guide that comes with said magazine). The idea stemmed from when I found out that my mom had just been diagnosed with both Celiac Disease and Type 2 Diabetes. Her diseases were discovered and diagnosed at the same time, just like mine were. And I live 600 miles away from her, so she's going through all of this alone.

I was sad for her, really sad, because I know the mental anguish associated with these diseases. And then a wave of gratefulness swept over me. I felt grateful that I wasn't in her shoes- as far as being "new" to these diagnoses. Although I've only had them for 1 1/2- almost 2 years, I feel like a seasoned veteran. Listening to her anguish and tears, it made me realize just how far I'd come with my illnesses. I still have my low moments and moments of uncertainty, fear, and even anger, but not like I did when I was "new." I also thanked God in a prayer, thanking him for giving me these diseases first, so I could help her.

I might not know why things happen, if there is a "reason" for things to happen they way they do. But I learned two weeks ago that you can find blessings in just about anything.

And so back to my vision board, I'm putting pictures of health and gratitude on it. I want to send it to my mom when it's done. Maybe it will help her a little.

Also, my diabetes anniversary is coming up in a week and a half (2/6/10). Has it already been two years? It falls on a Monday, and although I was thinking to take the day off work, I'm not sure what I'd do. So as of right now, I'm still planning on going to work. I'd like to create a little tradition, even if it's just for me, where every year on 2/6 I celebrate how far I've come. I wonder if anyone else does something special????

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot of people who treat themselves to a really awesome meal on their diaversaries. I have the terrible habit of just thinking about it all day. But yes -- do something! Take your diabetes out to dinner!

    ReplyDelete