Sunday, January 8, 2012

The A1c is 6.3. That rhymes.

It not only rhymes, it's a miracle. I was expecting a much worse A1c from my Mayo visit on 1/5/12. Not too shabby, I guess. I have to give credit to all of the horrendous LOWS I've had lately to help bring my A1c down (not healthy, I know). Oh well, glad that's over and done with. I had a great visit with Dr. Kudva, endo with the Mayo Clinic. He's such a fantastic doctor, all the way around. He talked with me again about the closed-loop research study that my blood work eliminated me from being able to take part in back in October. Looks like this round I'm a viable candidate. I talked with a research associate and the technician last Friday on the phone, and they are going to get me scheduled for the final pre-screening process. If approved, I'll be inpatient at St. Mary's Hospital (Mayo Hosp) for 4 days while they research the artificial pancreas closed loop stuff. (I'll have more details later). Even if this research doesn't end up helping me, I hope it will help future kids and adults who are diagnosed with this disease. I want to be a part of it all.

Enough about that. The weekend was good. Met up with a friend; we went to the Mall of America and had dinner at a nice gluten free restaurant and hung out at the new Peeps store. Yep, the Peeps as in the marshmallowy sugary bunnies and birds you get in your Easter basket every year? (They now have them for every holiday, right now coming out with their valentine's peeps... how cute is that????) They have so many cute things! I bought Peeps socks (with pink peeps on them), a Peeps hat, a Peeps mug, 2 sugarfree peppermint peeps and 1 non-sugarfree strawberry peeps dipped in chocolate. I couldn't resist. I LOVE peeps and apparently, I love Peep Gear: outerwear, hats, socks, books, etc. too!

Now that you probably think I'm nuts, I'll just say that hope everyone else had a nice, relaxing weekend. I hope to catch up on all of the blogs I read this week, and yep, am looking for new ones. If you have a blog, would you write a comment and tell me what your blog is, so I can stop on over?

3 comments:

  1. Great A1c! Well done :) I definately found that hypos made mine lower all the time too, do you think its coeliac related? My mum also 'gets the shakes' when she hasn't eaten for a while.

    The research sounds great! I would love to be involved in something myself. Maybe after university I will look around.

    Liz @ Lizabetic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get to be in the research study.. Keep us updated... And also thank you very much for being involved in type 1 studies to help not only yourself but others, like my son.
    Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job on the A1c! and also on the study! that is a great opportunity to help yourself as well as others.

    kim @ kd-anditsnotkraftdinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete