Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's that time of year again!




Time to start my New Year's resolutions and diet plans. I tried to keep my New Year's resolutions simple this year, and actually, I started them in December. I would like to lose about 5 lbs. and I'd like to floss my teeth everyday.

Ever since my diagnosis of Grave's Disease in April 2010, which resulted in my thyroid getting nuked (radioactive iodine therapy), I have to work EXTRA hard to watch my weight. I seem to gain weight not from eating more or eating badly, but simply from eating normally but not exercising. It's really annoying.

As a diabetic, I'm very afraid of exercise. I get low quickly, even when reducing my insulin and eating extra carbs. I haven't been able to figure out how to work out. And I have a lot of questions, like if I want to work out on my lunch hour, do I eat lunch before working out, or after? How soon before/after exercise should I eat carbs? And how can I avoid eating more carbs (to prevent lows) than what I'm actually going to burn off exercising? I just can't figure it out. I really want to hire a personal trainer, just for a couple sessions, someone who has worked with diabetics and who understands the blood sugar issues. I'll put that on my personal "wish list." And I'm afraid of being alone after I exercise, because I experience lows, bad ones, throughout the day and night following exercise.

I go to see the endocrinologist at Mayo Clinic tomorrow morning for my 3-month checkup. I have more than one endo. The Mayo Clinic is great, because the endo that I see there works to treat all of my auto-immune diseases; I have a team down there of doctors that work together to manage my care. They get on the phone with each other during my appointments to try to put the pieces together and figure out why I got all of these auto-immune diseases within a 6-month period, and how to prevent me from getting another one, which could be deadly. The only issue is, the Mayo Clinic is at least an hour drive from my house, so it's not super convenient to use as my primary facility. So I have another endo that I see up here in Minneapolis. I will ask the doctor tmrw about exercising, but I suspect I'll get the same old answer: you just have to experiment a little to figure out what works for you. Sigh...

Today when I was leaving work, I got in my car and checked my blood sugar before driving. My bg was 94, so off I drove. A few miles into my drive, my vision started getting very slightly blurry. I blinked a couple times to see if it would clear itself up. I didn't feel weird, but decided it was enough for me to pull off the road to recheck. 47. My blood sugar dropped to 47! And I didn't feel it! Scary. Scary that I was driving, and scary that I didn't feel any of the classic signs. I haven't been feeling my lows lately, and that will be something I talk about with the Mayo doctor tomorrow.

I'll tell you what my A1c is after my visit tomorrow. I've had a lot of highs and lows, so I can't even wager a guess.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Nikki, you look great! holy crap!
    It looks like you work hard for that body, good for you!
    as for exercising, trial and error my dear. trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trial and error, yes. I like starting with some expert advice, though, especially when the solo experiments are confusing or scary. Not to sound like a broken record, but TeamWILD's coaches are amazing....

    ReplyDelete