Monday, June 27, 2011

What It Takes.



Not pictured: Align probiotic pills.

I remember the good old days when all I took was a multivitamin. Then I got t1 diabetes. And grave's disease. And celiac disease. With each diagnosis, my doctor(s) recommended supplements,as did the dieticians I saw. Next thing I know, I'm taking all of these. Me, a girl who has problems swallowing pills. How did that happen?

Well, I chose to do whatever I could to be healthy, and forced myself to overcome my fear of swallowing pills. Fear of death/blindness/amputations trumps fear of swallowing pills. I use to sit next to a registered nurse at the insurance company I worked for, and I talked to her about my absurd fear of swallowing pills for fear they wouldn't go down and I'd choke on the big ones. So she had me bring them all in and take them at work, since she was right next to me. It was just the security blanket I needed. Now I take them -alone- at home by myself. Although sometimes the bigger ones get a bit melty in my mouth by the time I convince myself to swallow them, yuck (hello omega 3s and the super B complex!)

I'm still on the hunt for an easy to swallow, gluten free calcium pill. I could take Viactiv, which is gluten free, but wonder if they have too much sugar in them (??) Citracal makes a "Smaller, Easy To Swallow Pill"-- that's not gluten free (bummer). Does anyone have any suggestions for a calcium supplement?

Are there any vitamins out there- for you diabetics and for you celiacs- that you take that I'm not and should be? I'm open for suggestions. My urine is florescent GREEN from all the vitamins. Crazy!!! I'm up to 17 vitamins, a few I take 2 times a day so it's more like 19 or 20. Maybe I'm nuts.

I've become obsessed with being healthy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment