Sunday, June 12, 2011

Birthday Weekend!



Do you like birthdays? For those that like them, I put up the "party cake" picture, and for those who don't, well, I put up the poop cake picture. I love my birthday. Yesterday was my birthday. I'm getting OLD!!!

It was my 2nd birthday with t1 diabetes, and my 1st birthday with celiac disease (celiac diagnosed 7/13/10). A year ago, I ate real cake. This year, it would have been gluten-free cake, but I chose to have gluten-free blueberry pancakes for breakfast instead of having cake later in the day. For my diabetes' sake, I thought I better choose one or the other. Seriously, I don't know how many I actually ate, but it was the first time that I ate so much of ANYTHING that I felt nauseous afterwards.

I spent the day out with different groups of friends. I went to the zoo and walked around for 3.5 hours. I went to a party in the evening where I was able to spend time with friends. Had a great day and was in bed by midnight. I don't drink, so I woke up today feeling great and refreshed!

This time, last year, I wasn't celebrating much of anything. I had a new t1 diabetes diagnosis, had just (a couple weeks earlier) completed radiation therapy for Grave's Disease, and little did I know, was about to be diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was unbelievably sick. I am so grateful that a year later, I feel better, stronger, happier and more confident. I enjoyed my birthday more this year than I have in many years. Why? Because if there's one thing that my diseases have taught me, it's to appreciate life and to appreciate every good day (which most days are!) Birthdays are milestones!

I might not be as carefree as I used to be, but I am as happy, or maybe even happIER, than I've ever been.

It's easy to find the negatives in, well, everything. But most days I choose to focus on the victories and the blessings that each situation brings. Because whether it's celiac disease or t1 diabetes or grave's disease, it doesn't matter whether I hate it or not- I still have it, I will always have it, and I have to take care of it. Daily. Period. So I might as well quit using up all my energy cursing it.

Happiness is not a place, nor is it a health status. You can be happy regardless of your circumstances. And it sure makes life easier for those around us, who take care of us and love us, when we choose to be happy people.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed weekend. I have a suggestion for you. The next time you are in a situation where you feel anger or stress, or even despair (e.g., traffic, grocery store, balancing your checkbook, taking care of your disease or someone else's), stop yourself. Picture a nice big red stop sign. Then try to identify something positive about the situation. There's something positive in everything. You will be surprised at the weight you physically feel come off your shoulders (aka tension!). Night night!

No comments:

Post a Comment