Friday, May 31, 2013

Not going so well...

I can't lie... I'm not loving MDI. I know it's early, but I cannot get my bg under control. It starts off fine in the morning, until I eat something. And the rest of the day it goes to hell. It's currently sitting at 260, where it's been for a few hours, creeping up. But it hasn't been long enough since my last bolus, because I guess I'm supposed to wait 4 hours between boluses to correct a high (is that really true???). So my bg is in the toilet. And it being that high has prevented me from eating supper tonight, for fear of it going even higher before bedtime. This shit sucks. I give a lot more credit to MDI users... this is harder than it looks!

It's making me feel depressed and anxious. And I've had a nasty bad headache all afternoon/evening from the sustained high bg. Not a good way to start off on MDI. It doesn't make me feel very hopeful. And it's making me feel stupid that I am not able to get control of things.

5 comments:

  1. You are definitely not stupid. I was on MDI's for four years, and then for one week last year at the beach. BG's are much harder to control on MDI's for most diabetics. If I were you I would stick with it for a little while longer and see if it works out for you. You can always go back to the pump, and give yourself a little pat on the back for at least trying MDI's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switching to MDIs takes some adjustment because your basals and bolus ratios are likely to be a little different now that you only have one "basal rate." Don't be too hard on yourself. Just be ready to do some tweaking! :) I've been on a pump vacation now for over a year, and while certain aspects are easier on MDIs, it's definitely not "easy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you go back to MDI? Nothing can ever make me go back to MDI. I haven't had a seizure since I went on the pump. That darn NPH and Lantus would dump while I slept and I'd have seizures all the time. The reason for my comment though is that I only recently learned that you're not suppose to correct until 4 hours after your last bolus. I used to go high, then crash, go high, then crash, . . . all because I was correcting at 2 hours, when I'd check my blood sugar after a meal. My DexG4 also helped me see what my blood sugar did "all the time", which helps you understand A LOT about your diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not too sure about the 4 hour correction thing either. I was taught to test 2 hours after I finished eating and then correct if I'm over 10mmol/L (180 mg/dl). That's my target post meal, but if I needed to correct, I would only correct to get me to 10mmol/L no less. I've never had any issues doing it this way. BUT, obviously you should listen to your Endo because I'm sure this is one of those YDMV things.

    Everyday will get easier on MDI's, I promise! It's definitely an adjustment and your body needs to get used to it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several boxes of omnipods that I would love to send your way. I had a bad reaction to the adhesive and I would like to give them to someone who needs them. Email me lizziepoe at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete