Saturday, March 31, 2012

When it hits the spot.


I'm blessed to own an insulin pump. There are so many positive aspects to having it, and I love it most days but last night I was cursing it. Last night it was time to change my pod. I took off my old pod, and put on the new one, on my left lower back/butt, which is one of the sites in my rotation. In fact, I had just removed it from the exact same location on the right lower back/butt. But this time when I clicked the button to insert it, it hit....something. Something really painful. The surge of pain caused me to say a few choice words under my breathe. I proceeded to bend forward, put my hand over it, and hop around the kitchen. It didn't help. I limped around (I don't know why I was limping; it wasn't my leg) and practiced deep breathing, hoping it would 'settle in' a bit, which it did. I was also worried that since I was about to go to bed, I wouldn't be able to sleep on my back now. But it did ok. The site is still tender. Hopefully it will be alright for the next 3 days until the next site change.

You just never know when it's going to hurt like that. I swear I've worn it in the same spots and every once in a while it just hurts like a ...!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is that DexCom sensor under your belly button? A new front spot would be awesome!

    I hope the site was pain free for the rest of the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the Dexcom about 2 inches to the left of my belly button. It works well there! And yeah, luckily the initial pain of the pump insertion went away. Sometimes it doesn't and you end up ripping it off early, but this one did okay!!!!

      Delete