Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How do you cook in cast iron????


Okay. We need to talk. I need someone out there who knows something about cast iron pans to help me. I received a Lodge cast iron skillet as a gift recently. I only have one other frying pan, and it's a non-stick pan, which I know isn't great healthwise, so needless to say I was uber-excited about this gift. I carefully read the pan's instructions to see if it needed any special handling (pre-seasoned, etc.) and it said it was ready for immediate use, no pre-greasing or seasoning needed.

Now look at that picture and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Why does everything stick???? I tried to cook eggs tonight, and well, you see how that turned out. I lost at least one egg to the bottom of that pan.

I'm beginning to think that cast iron pans should just be used as weapons against intruders and NOT for cooking.

Anyone got any advice????

5 comments:

  1. I've been using a cast iron for years. I still use a bit of oil from time to time. But the beauty of cast iron is the more you use it the better it becomes. I find it gets more "non stick" as the years go by. So use more oil in the beginning. That's my advice anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. America's Test Kitchen (PBS, my favorite cooking resource) tested the 12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet and said that the first time around eggs stuck like crazy and clean up was a beast but the second time around the eggs barely stuck and clean up was a breeze. So, my advice is, give it another try and see what happens. Some pieces of equipment are just fussy the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What they said. Also, don't use soap when you clean it! Use really hot water and a scrubby.This works fine if you clean it right after you eat - doesn't always happen in my house so... Add some course salt to help if food is stuck on. Rubbing with 1/2 a lemon can also help the stuck-on stuff come off, but then you may need/want to season it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many times have I seen this. You made the first rookie mistake of cast iron cooking. Too much heat. Cast iron is the most efficient with heat. Take for instance how long it took your pan to cool off. Get a good metal spatula, some veggie oil, and heat it up and scrape off your mistake. Then next time turn your burner down, put a little bit of veggie oil in the pan and try your eggs again. Also read my blog for more tips. Www.TheDiabeticCamper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't thank each of you enough for your comments on this one. THANK YOU!!! I took each of your advice and tried it.

    Diabetic Camper- thanks for your much needed tough love... You are going to make me a better cast iron skillet user. Thanks for all your words. I am currently trying all of your tips!

    ReplyDelete