Friday, May 23, 2014

How this Celiac-Diabetic with severe allergies packs for a weekend getaway.

It's Memorial Day weekend, y'all. I got an invite to go up to a cabin about 2 1/2 hours out of the city, where I won't have easy access to grocery stores or pharmacies. What's a Celia-betic who is allergic to everything to do? PACK EVERYTHING, that's what.

Being celiac, I packed all my own food- after extensive meal planning for meals that will accommodate my diabetic celiac diet. I also packed all my own pans, a cutting board, spices, snacks, butter, teas, etc. Here is the menu plan I put together (which I will share with others at the cabin, of course! Too much food for one person!)

Breakfasts:
-Egg muffins (basically spinach, mushroom, eggs mixed with almond milk and a piece of bacon on top, baked in a greased muffin pan in the oven). GF, DF, Paleo. Makes 12 "muffins."
-Jones brand GF breakfast sausage
-Extra organic eggs for hard boiling or cooking, in case needed

Lunches/dinners:
-chicken in balsamic cream sauce with mushrooms (GF, Dairy Free, Paleo), from make Ahead Paleo Cookbook
-grilled hamburgers, plus my own separate ketchup and GF Canyon Ranch buns
-chicken wings for grilling, plus Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce

Sides:
-mashed cauliflower with chives (GF, DF, Paleo)
-"No-Potato" Salad- (GF, DF, Paleo), from Make Ahead Paleo cookbook
-Healthy version of broccoli salad (GF, DF, Paleo). Recipe found on www.weightandwellness.com
-sweet potato wedges wrapped in bacon and baked
-baked southwestern Mac n cheese- GF, dairy free, from godairyfree.com website

Snacks:
-almonds
-Eat Your Veggies brand chips
-blueberries
-apples
-oranges
-bananas

Desserts:
-Almond flour chocolate chip cookies (GF, DF, Paleo) from Elana Amsterdam's cookbook Almond Flour Cookbook

These foods accommodate both my celiac and diabetic needs.

Extra things:
-chip clip
-aluminum foil for grill and oven
-storage containers for extra food I want to bring home (can't use others as they are likely cross-contaminated with gluten).
-baking pan
-frying pan
-cutting board
-mixing bowl
-crockpot bag (so I can use the host's crockpot)
-cooler

I hauled the non-perishable stuff in my personalized Thirty One bags (for celiacs who have to haul a lot of stuff around, these are amazing. I own several!)



Packing for diabetes- being on an insulin pump, I packed a week's worth of pump supplies, an extra vial of insulin, a bottle of glucose tabs and a big bottle of grape juice to treat lows, and also to share with others.

Packing for allergies: because I am allergic to soap, detergent, lotions and shampoos/conditioners, I brought all my own stuff. I also brought my own linens and towels, since I can't dry off with towels that have been washed in most detergents. Here is what happens when I don't bring my own towels (see pic!) I immediately break out in burning rashes all over my body. It's awful!! Since I am allergic to sunscreen, I wear a large brimmed sun hat and limit my time in the sun, opting for more shade.



Now you can see why I upgraded my cute, small sports car to a larger vehicle- I need to haul around a lot of stuff on my trips! I pack for a family of 8, even though I'm just 1...

Anyway, my sweet dog Bella and I made it safe and sound to the cabin, and I'm writing this from the deck that overlooks the lake. So beautiful... All my hard work and planning was worth it. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend, Nikki, and I hope you gets lots of rest after all of the work it was to pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laddie! It was so relaxing. What a great-weather weekend here in Minnesota.

      Delete
  2. this is so helpful! I often lately feel overwhelmed by how much I have to bring everywhere. I am saving this post to use as a guide.

    And so happy for the recommendation from Make Ahead Paleo! I have not yet made anything from this book, but now I know where to begin. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, I am about to head out on another trip, and I am packing my Make Ahead Paleo cookbook again! It was so useful and the food was seriously amazing. Everyone liked the food!

      Delete