Saturday, February 12, 2011

I need a secretary.

Who knew that there was an administrative side to having diabetes. Most people know about the obvious management it takes- finger pokes, testing, juice boxes, etc., but what about the other stuff?

Like when you are running late and trying to get out the door and right then, your pod alarms (I have an Omnipod) and you have to put on a whole new pod before you can go. Which reminds you that you are almost out of pods and you haven't received a new shipment- where are they? You make a mental note to call Omnipod/Insulet Corp later to check the status.

It's as if managing T1 everyday isn't quite enough- you have to battle your insurance company every so often when they randomly decide you are using too many test strips per month and therefore deny your prescription, or they suddenly change the brand you use to the non-formulary list and hike your copay up another 20%.

It's realizing you don't have anymore tape as your CGM or your pod is falling off/coming loose.

There's always stuff to stay on top of, it's always time to re-order something. That's why I need a diabetes secretary. That way I can have some normal down time in my day. And sometimes, I just want to feel nondiabetic for just 5 minutes. Because it wasn't that long ago that I was, and I still remember what "normal" feels like. I miss it.

Side note- I've recently identified that I talk more to myself now that I have diabetes. Is this normal????? I say things like "Are you kidding me???" "You are NOT going to do this now, are you?" "Ohhhh, can't you just leave me alone for a little bit???" Sadly, I find that I tend to do it outloud, even in grocery aisles, only to look up and see people looking at me, wondering who I'm talking to.

I need a bubble bath. Calgonnnnnnnnnnnn!

1 comment:

  1. I don't if it's normal to talk to yourself more but I do it too, so you're not alone! Of course, I was always prone to muttering to myself anyway but I've noticed an increase as well.

    My iPhone is my diabetes secretary. When I have one of those "oh crap, I need to order/call/restock" moments, I put it in my phone and set an alert for a time when I can address it.

    ReplyDelete